As it was known since the beginning of last year, Microsoft will cease operating system support after 10 years Windows 7, starting today, January 14, 2020.
Basically, this means that if you have the operating system installed Windows 7 on a computer, this one you will no longer receive security updates nor Essential updates for compatible drivers cu hardware configuration the system.
The ones most affected by this cessation of support will of course be the companies that are late to upgrade to Windows 10 and who hold sensitive data. No security updates, PCs with Windows 7 will be more exposed in the absence of computer attacks.
About what can be done to avoid unpleasant possibilities and what alternative operating systems Well, I talked about a year ago when we first announced today's Microsoft action. No need to talk, because you find all the details here. Also in an article from the beginning of last year we show how you can upgrade for free Windows 7 to Windows 10. Two methods of free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
However, if for various reasons you cannot give up in the coming months Windows 7, we come with two good news from Google and Microsoft. Google recently announced that Google Chrome updates will continue for Windows 7 in summer of 2021, and shortly after Google's announcement, Microsoft announced that the same thing would happen to the new browser Edge Chromium. It's somewhat understandable, because Microsoft's new browser uses the same platform with Google Chrome.
A brief recap of what this termination of Microsoft support for Windows 7.
- Once the update support stops, it does not mean that your PC will no longer work. It will continue to function normally, but there is a risk that you will be exposed to cyber attacks in the future. You will no longer receive security updates.
- Some applications may no longer be compatible with Windows 7. Software companies are usually focused on "live" operating systems. A good idea is to keep the installation kits of the dedicated applications Windows 7.
- Many hardware manufacturers will no longer launch dedicated drivers for Windows 7. Therefore, some equipment may no longer function normally or you may not install the software dedicated to them.
- Companies specializing in security solutions are very likely to continue to provide updates. Although if you have a antivirus, it is very likely that he will continue to receive updates.
- Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) will continue to update its malware database, but it is unclear whether it will receive any more software updates if they come for Windows 10.
- Consider upgrading as soon as possible Windows 10.
Minimum recommended system for Windows 10: CPU with a minimum frequency of 1Ghz, hard drive with a minimum space of 32GB, 1GB of RAM (for 32-bit) or 2GB of RAM (version can be installed Windows 10 64-bit), dedicated or integrated video card, capable of supporting DirectX9 and display with a minimum resolution of 800 x 600.